Thursday, August 2, 2012

Simple Castle and Wall


In this blog I will describe how to make a simple castle wall with towers.  For this I used Illustrator but other drawing programs should work.  I set snap to grid.  I first made a simple black rectangle as a drawing surface.  I drew another rectangle on top of that and made the lines 4 points and gray.  I copied this rectangle and made a duplicate of it colored a lighter shade of gray.  I made this line dashed by going into stroke->show options then changing it to a dashed line.  I chose the circle shape tool by holding down the square shape tool until it changed to show the options, then chose circle.  I chose the radial gradient pattern then went into edit the gradient.  I clicked on the black square controlling the gradient and changed the color to gray.  The white side I left white.  I then created four gradient filled circles at the corners of the dashed rectangle:

Resulting in the following gray scale image:


Which becomes the following when rendered:

global_settings {max_trace_level 5 ambient_light rgb 1.5 }
background {rgb <1,1,1>}
camera {orthographic location <0,20,-20> look_at <0,0,0> angle 40}
light_source {<80,100,40> rgb .5 }
light_source {<20,200,20> rgb .8 }
    
height_field {
    png "castle.png"
    //smooth 
    translate <-.5,0,-.5>
pigment {
      gradient y       //this is the PATTERN_TYPE
      color_map {
        [0.0  color <.4,.3,.0>] 
        [0.5  color <.5,.4,.6>]         
        [0.9  color <.8,.1,.0>]
      }                     }
    scale <17, 2, 17>
    finish {roughness .1 specular .5 ambient .2}
  }
 plane { y, -1.0 texture {pigment {color rgb <.7,.55,.4>}} translate <0,1.02,0>}


With a bit of tweaking you can get a more complex structure, I also added in some random houses from my previous blog:



No comments:

Post a Comment